PLM Family Law

  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Other Family Law Issues
  4.  → Mediation

Mediation: A Time-Honored Dispute Resolution Method

Mediation is an alternative dispute resolution method that is common in both North Dakota and Minnesota. At mediation, the parties are paired with a neutral mediator (meaning the mediator does not represent either party as an attorney or advocate).

Mediation is considered a confidential process. This means neither the mediator nor the parties are permitted to talk about what happens at mediation in a courtroom. The ideas discussed may not be used as evidence in a trial.

Parvey, Larson, and McLean, PLLC, in Fargo, advises clients throughout the area in North Dakota and western Minnesota. Many go through mediation with our help.

About The Process

At mediation, the parties discuss their positions and negotiate a mutually acceptable resolution. The parties are free to discuss their issues and attempt to reach an amicable solution with the help of the mediator.

If the parties reach agreement on some – or all – of their issues, the mediator will draft a statement outlining the agreement. The mediation statement is not a binding court order. Since the mediator does not represent either party, an outside attorney will need to be hired to draft the mediation statement into a binding document and order for the judge to sign.

An Early Mediation Stage Program Available To Minnesotans

Minnesota also offers a program referred to as early neutral evaluation (ENE). It is generally related to children and custody, a social ENE, or property, a financial ENE. These programs are available in many Minnesota judicial districts and work as an early mediation stage for many parties. We are available to answer any questions you may have regarding this process and guide you through this or other aspects of mediation.

We can answer questions as you are deciding your best course of action in a divorce, a child custody dispute or another family law matter.

Schedule A Consultation

Call our Fargo law offices at 701-347-1383 or send an email inquiry to Parvey, Larson, and McLean to request a meeting with a lawyer at your convenience.